Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Perception

I wonder at the inability of certain people to accept me as a part of them.

I am reminded, almost every day, how irrationally it is that we’re sometimes judged.

My friend once shared with me a similar experience, when she went to attend a seminar on Human Resource Development at LUMS a few years ago. In her words, more or less, While they waited for the lecture to begin she noticed an oddly out of place , shalwar above the ankles, very plain looking, bearded man, walking about the stage and wondered what he was doing among the intellectually high end crowd. She refocused her attention thinking he was most probably there to fix up the mikes etc, only to be utterly amazed when that same person was announced as the key speaker. The auditorium remained dead silent throughout his talk, his words gripping, his ideas scholarly and his theme completely worldly. Later, my friend confessed that she would never have thought him capable of such wondrous wisdom had he not spoken. “It’s just that,” she said, “when you see a veiled woman or a bearded man, you can’t help but think that they’d have a brain the size of a pea.”

It all comes down to perception really. We all do it. We form preconceived ideas of people we’ve hardly met. A hippy looking guy with a pony tail, I assure you, would always pass off as an ‘artist’ and a chap who talks feminine, we think, must belong to the fashion industry.

So, I hardly blame those who, in my presence, feel intellectually superior. As I sit there, clad in my hijab, I don’t frown, but I smile at their dim ignorance… ironic! Isn’t it?

3 comments:

  1. And its specially funny when people change back to speaking urdu when they see my hijab! :)what would it be like if i could answer them in French!!! hahaha that would be sooo funny!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would hana?

    and also that they assume the only topic you would be capable of contributing to is the namaz or the roza! in gatherings, people i don't even know, just walk up to me and start asking questions related to religion. not that i mind. it's an honour to know something of the deen... a blessing really :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not they it's us.I don't think even if they do come to us we would be able to tolerate them and their modern ideas. I noticed that when i came to pakistan last year. Invited all my school friends for a get together. After the first 10 minutes of hey how've you been whose married and whose got how many kids i noticed that i the host was quiet and everybody else was talking. Bollywood movies , music , makeup , gap shap tales with male colleagues , affairs etc etc etc.. aaahhhhh when would this end and when will i get back to my mom's bed where me and my sisters would be sipping tea together with some tea coffee compoany meetha.
    I don't miss not being able to fit in.

    ReplyDelete